By Rondell Treviño, Founder, The immigration Project
There’s a lot of assumptions and misinformation from people around the country concerning the Caravan of Immigrants at the US-Mexico Border right now.
To clear things up, here’s the truth in a nutshell:
There are roughly 300 immigrants at the US-Mexico border right now seeking asylum and the US is obligated under law to hear them out. The US has committed to protect persecuted people by signing the 1967 “Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees,” and through its own immigration laws. Under those laws, asylum seekers are not required to file for asylum in the first “safe country” they reach. Even if they were, members of the caravan could argue without much difficulty that Mexico is unsafe.
So, if the Trump administration is to follow the law, it will have to screen the caravan members to determine whether they have legitimate claims. Remember, the 300 Immigrants are asking for asylum, and there is nothing illegal about this. They are not breaking the law. They are actually obeying the law.
Therefore, instead of yelling, “They’re breaking the law and need to leave!” I encourage all of us to instead
1. Pray the screening goes well and for those Immigrants who qualify are allowed into the US.
2. Know the actual FACTS concerning Immigration issues.
3. Read your Bible more than watching Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, and other news stations.
4. View Immigrants as people to love not problems to solve.
5. Praise the 300 Immigrants for obeying the law.