By Rondell Treviño, Founder/Director, The immigration Project
The State of the Union Address (SOTU) is an annual message delivered by the President of the United States to a joint session of the United States Congress at the beginning of each calendar year in office. The message typically includes a budget message and an economic report of the nation, and also allows the President to propose a legislative agenda and national priorities.
President Trump will give his State of the Union Address tonight, and I believe many are asking the question, “What will he say?” This is the million dollar question. Although we do not know what he will say, we do know he has a profound opportunity to urge balanced bipartisan legislation that:
• Secures Ports of entry along on Southern Border with better technology and the hiring and training of Border Patrol Agents.
• Implements a wall and/or barrier in needed places along the Southern Border. Not along the entire Border, but in needed places.
• Gives a pathway to citizenship for Immigrant Dreamers with DACA. These are individuals who came to the United States as Children and babies without any choice in the matter. Therefore, they deserve a pathway to citizenship and not to be blamed for choices they did not make.
• Augments the already 650 mile long fencing on the Southern Border.
• Protect Immigrants with Temporary Protective Status (TPS).
We firmly believe this is a balanced approach that shows compassion to Immigrants (Luke 10:25-37) while respecting the rule of law (Romans 13:1-7).
Let us pray God intervenes in the heart of President Donald Trump in such a way his words bring unity to the United States, not division.
The immigration Project exists to equip the Church to embrace a biblically balanced approach to immigration that shows compassion to immigrants while respecting the rule of law.