Rondell Treviño, Founder, Memphis immigration Project
One of the most frequent questions I get asked from people on Social Media and in person is, “What are some things I can do to engage Immigrations issues better?”
This question is extremely important and needed for Christians to know and understand, especially with so many immigration issues going on in our country today. Therefore, I have condensed a long list of practical steps we can take to engage issues of Immigration to 7.
Here are 7 practical steps we can take to engage Immigration issues:
- Pray. We can pray through the I was a Stranger Challenge. Link: http://evangelicalimmigrationtable.com/iwasastranger/
- Read. We can read books on Immigration from a biblical perspective. List of 9 must read books: https://memphisip.com/2017/12/28/9-immigration-books-to-put-on-your-2018-reading-list/
- Study. We can study a devotional on God’s heart for the Immigrant and Refugee. List of 3 devotionals they can download on their phone and/or through their laptop: https://memphisip.com/2018/01/01/3-devotional-plans-to-start-your-2018/
- Advocate. We can advocate for legislation to be passed that protects Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Recipients because they came as young babies and children without any choice in the matter. Here are 4 ways Christians can help pass legislation for Immigrant Dreamers with DACA: https://memphisip.com/2018/01/11/crunch-time-4-ways-you-can-help-pass-legislation-for-immigrant-dreamers-with-daca/
- Listen. We can listen to the Legacy Conference workshops on Immigration: http://legacydisciple.org/index.php/workshops/?sapurl=Lys3M2EzL2xiL21zLys1OGQ0NDQ5P2JyYW5kaW5nPXRydWUmZW1iZWQ9dHJ1ZQ==
- Encourage. We can encourage our pastor to preach on Immigration at Church. 12% of Christians choose to view Immigration from a biblical perspective and the other 88% view Immigration from the media, news, fear, legality, etc. Therefore, one the best things pastors can do is preach on Immigration.
- Invite. 85% of Immigrants to the U.S.A. have never been invited to an American home. As Christians, we can simply invite an Immigrant or Immigrant family to our home and eat at one of the most misused places God has given us to love our Immigrant neighbor: the dinner table. We can also Google a Refugee or Immigrant organization in your city and ask them to introduce you to a family or two, and invite them to your home and eat dinner with them
Memphis immigration Project exists to engage issues of Immigration from a biblical perspective.